Do you struggle with reaching your goals?
One thing that makes goals so difficult to achieve is that it’s hard to stay focused enough to keep working towards them. Many of us blame distractions such as work, family, or technology and say that’s the reason why we have a hard time concentrating on our goals.
Despite our best intentions and efforts, it can be challenging to stay on track!
A recent study at the University of Hertfordshire revealed that nearly 50% of people make a New Year’s resolution that includes a meaningful goal, but over 78% of people will fail to maintain their focus and achieve that goal.
While these are daunting statistics, the good news is that there are a few simple measures that you can take to help you stay focused and make significant progress.
Stay focused with these strategies the next time you’re feeling distracted from your goals:
- Narrow your list. Instead of trying to focus on too many goals, narrow it down to 1-3 major goals that you hope to achieve within the year. This ensures that you aren’t spreading yourself too thin and, as a result, losing your motivation.
- Break down each of your major goals. You’ll feel less overwhelmed when you break up a large goal into a series of smaller steps, each with specific, achievable tasks. This makes reaching your ultimate goal that much easier.
- As you accomplish each step, maintain your momentum and enthusiasm for achieving your goal by celebrating your success.
- Nurture relationships with friends who will hold you accountable for your progress. Find one or more friends that you can share your experiences with as you work towards your goal. Ideally, this person will be someone who can encourage you when obstacles arise and celebrate your successes with you along the way.
- When you have a goal buddy, you’re no longer “on your own” in your journey. You’re less likely to allow yourself to lose focus and become distracted when you have someone who’s encouraging you.
- Record and document your process. Start a journal and write about your experience as you pursue your goal. Writing down your thoughts is a great way to maintain your motivation to the end.
- Create either a physical or virtual goal board. Your goal board is a visual reminder of why you created a particular goal in the first place. Take a poster board, bulletin board, or electronic platform, and fill it with pictures and other images that help you maintain your enthusiasm and focus. (Check out my blog on vision Boards! Its just like a goal board!)
- A goal board also makes it easier to visualize how you’ll feel once your goal is complete. In effect, it gets your subconscious mind “on board” with your plan to reach your goal. You want your entire psyche working with you to achieve your goal.
It takes hard work and consistent effort to achieve major goals. You can maintain your passion and motivation to make your dreams come true with these simple, focus-maintaining strategies.
You can do this!